I’m now at the end of my second week of working part-time for a great coffee shop in Sq. Hill. Tonight will be my fifth shift and I’m looking forward to it for a number of reasons. Here are five of them.
- Tips! – Thank you to generous customers who tip when the receive a good drink. On Tuesday, I even made enough in tips to buy a growler of East End Pedal Pale Ale to share with the OD men’s group.
- Music – in what other coffee shop would I have the freedom to bring my own music? If you come by tonight, I’m planning on bringing a mix of Derek Webb, Blackthorn Project, and a few other similar artists.
- People – I love my coworkers. I love the customers. There’s definitely a feeling of community present amongst the staff and the patrons. I can’t wait to get to know them all better.
- Simplicity – Things are so much simpler here than at the chain I worked at in Boulder before moving to Pittsburgh. No uniforms, no thermometers, no complicated computer system to mess with – just good coffee and a much stronger sense of community. And, I don’t think I will ever cease to be impressed by the resourcefulness of Keith (the manager).
- Coffee – We serve good coffee, some of which is even fair-trade, like the Rwandan brew I’ve been enjoying every time I go in. Praise God for coffee!